HauntedOrchid

The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

The Hero and the Crown (Damar #2) - Robin McKinley I loved The Hero and the Crown (I'm so looking for it next time I'm at a bookstore)!!! It is by far one of the best fantasy books I have ever read, the characters were great, especially Aerin the heroine of the book. The story was quite interesting (I started it right after I finished reading Ink Exchange and was already half done with it before I went to bed that night).
So back to my review. The story centers on Aerin who is the King's daughter who is feared by the court (because her mother was from the North and rumored to be a witch). Especially when Tor begins to treated her as more than a friend, although everyone but Aerin notices it.
Another thing I found to be quite fascinating about this book was how after much trial and error when she discovered how to make kenet; a salve that would make the wearer impervious to fire. She and her horse Talat (who was formally her father’s war horse; who was retired after he was injured in a battle) would go out and battle the dragons that were terrorising the country.
The only thing I didn’t like about The Hero and the Crown would have to have been the character Luthe. Who she met after nearly dying from the wounds she sustained after barely defeating Maur (the biggest dragon she’s ever faced). It could be just that I preferred Tor over Luthe, but he came across as a…well as a push-over, and a bit of a coward.
All in all The Hero and The Crown is fascinating action packed book written by the wonderful Robin McKinley. I definitely recommend it to anyone, especially those who love a good fantasy read.

The Hero and the Crown earns 5 out of 5 pineapples.