HauntedOrchid

The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy (The Shadow of the Unicorn, #1) - Suzanne de Montigny Review taken from my blog, The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy was perhaps one of the oddest books I have read in quite sometime. Odd because the two creatures that were found in the book were two that I would have never expected to see grace one book at the same time.

Suzanne de Montigny's The Legacy surprised me in so many ways. When I started reading it, there were a few things I was unprepared for, like, the presence of dinosaurs and a certain meteorite crash. While those two factors caught me off guard, I really enjoyed the way the author used them in her book and how it took the story on a whole new course.

One of the reasons I enjoyed reading Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy so much was that there was a lot of character development throughout the book and because I enjoyed the way the author used the events of the asteroid/meteorite strike to bring about the changes that would dictate whether or not the unicorns would learn to adapt to survive.
It was definitely interesting for me to see how Azaria went from a goofy colt more interested in proving his worth to his father to a solid and strong leader who would take his people down the next road in life. Azaria's evolved so much throughout the book that you would hardly recognize him from the first third of the book, but while he did change, you could still see the young colt that he started out as. Like I said, it was interesting to see all the character transitions in The Legacy and the fact that it was done so smoothly makes it all the better.

Below, I mention what I did not like about this book, but right now I want t tell y'all why I ended up enjoying The Legacy so much. What I really enjoyed about this book is that it was original because I don't think you are ever going to find another book that will have both unicorns and dinosaurs occupying the same time in history (although, we all know unicorns aren't real). What I liked about Suzanne de Montigny's use of unicorns and dinosaurs was that as characters they were written quite well. What really made them interesting though was the that as the book progressed you saw how the peril's predicted by Darius changed both groups...or what was left of both species.

While The Legacy ended up being quite an entertaining read, I must say that the only thing that kept me from fulling loving this one is because it was a little weird to be reading a book that had both unicorns and dinosaurs in it. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it because it was so different, but it was just a little weird when the dinosaurs were first brought into the picture. So, while it an an unexpected element to the story I found it to be interesting how the author made it work for the her book. This is definitely one book that you can not judge without at least giving it a shot. Who knows, it may just surprise you.

Final Verdict: Unicorns, dinosaurs, and potential destruction...need I say more.

The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy earns 4 out of 5 pineapples